Partinico


Partinico is a municipality of the metropolitan city of Palermo, that has 31.873 inhabitants. It located itself in the eastern central part of Palermo, on the line between Palermo and Trapani, in the inland of the Sicilian coast, on the slopes of Mount Gradara , in the valley of Nocella’s river. It raises on a big flat area and well connected by the motorway that’s easy to get to by the municipality’s centre. Ever since arab domination (IX-XI century) they maintain old toponym of Inico and Camico through the diction “B.RT.NIQ” to state Partinico, or better that land which was Inico’s capital. Towers dispersed across Partinico’s countryside are so important. But most of the 26 towers now are disappeared or destroyed because of carelessness and lack of interest.

Loading map...

Loading


Geographical location
Partinico is located in the central-est part of the Province, at the border to the Province of Trapani, in the inner side of the Sicilian coast. It's exactly at the foot of the Gradara mountain, in the valley of the river Nocella. The city rises on a flat area, which has a well connected infrastructure thanks to the close highway, easily reached from the city center.
How to reach us
from Palermo
Distance in km crow flies 22.63 km;
by car 33,4 km; about 44 min
Indications: On A29 - E90 direction SS113 go off from E90 take exit Partinico.

from Trapani
Distance in km crow flies 51.06 km;
by car 67,4 km; about 51 min
Indications: On A29/E90 direction Palermo take exit Partinico.
Usefull address
Town
City hall
Piazza Umberto I - 90047 Partinico (PA)
Tourist Office
Corso Dei Mille, 252 - 90047 Partinico (PA) - Tel 0039 091 8908505
PRO LOCO Piazza Umberto I - Tel 0039 091 8919316
Urgent care
Hospital Via Circonvallazione - Tel 0039 091 89 11 138
Urgent care Via Principe Umberto - Tel 0039 091 891 1176
Taxi
Coop. Trinacria - Tel 0039 091 225455
Coop. Autoradio taxi - Tel 0039 091 513311
Parking
Ospedale Partinico
Via Circonvallazione, 186
Partinico station
Piazza Stazione
www.comune.partinico.pa.it
History
Ancient sources, e.g. Itinerarium Antonini Augusti (engl. Roman route of Antonio) call the city parthenicum, from the Greek word parthenikos, chaste.
The most ancient sources mention the names B.rt.niq and B.r.t.niq chosen by Edrisi in 1182, that correspond to the Latin word partenici. Its ancient origin is testified by Greek and Roman archaeological finds of that region.
Documented attestations related to the early inhabited center dates from the medieval period, when the Normans gained power of the land. There are no historical facts that distinguished particularly the ancient Borgo, but it's known that in 13th century the center was destroyed during the war between Angevins and Aragoneses. In 1600 the land became part of the Demanio Regio (engl. royal domains). It achieved administrative autonomy in 19th century. In 1700 the Bourbons arrived and the Austrians were driven out of the isle. The Abbey, Abbazia di Altofonte, continued administrating the territory of Partinico through the abbots, who tried to increase their profits with the revaluation of the land given in emphyteusis (a kind of long-term
lease with purchase option) and the introduction of new taxes on fruits that before were not taxed. On May 16th 1860 the population rebelled and won against the Bourbons, who tried to plunder the region. This historical fact is called Eccidio di Partinico (engl. The massacre of Partinico).
Giuseppe Garibaldi, also called "The Hero of The Two Worlds" stopped here during his march to Palermo and after that a statue in his memory was built in the current Villa Margherita. The city is also remembered for it's active participation at the Fasci siciliani dei lavoratori (Sicilian Workers League), started the 9th December 1893.
Economy
Partinico is a small borgo, famous for its agriculture. In fact it's one of the biggest producers of delicious wine grapes, vegetables, fruit cultivated in big greenhouses, almonds and olives.
The greatest strength of local handicraft is iron and woodworking.
The secondary sector is made of enterprises operating in various sectors.
Arts and monuments
Partinico has an important cultural and artistic heritage. Partinico is located on a very large and flat area, so in it there are a huge number of artistic architecture, including : The Church of St. Maria Annunziata, built between 1552 and 1570, got all the simulacra from the small San Cristoforo church; Church Maria SS. degli Agonizzanti; Palazzo "Ram" (XVI century) Palazzo Ram is the biggest still existing farmhouse of Partinico; Church Santa Maria degli Angeli; The church of San Giuseppe (built in 17th century that still keeps baroque works inside), houses six famous paintings from the 16th century and realized according to the project by architect Vincenzo Di Stefano from Santa Ninfa, the music stage.